The Meaning Behind The Song: Say Amen by Howard Hewett

As a music teacher, I have come across various songs throughout my career that have touched me deeply. One of those songs is “Say Amen” by Howard Hewett. I remember stumbling upon this song at a friend’s house, and from the moment I heard it, I was captivated by its powerful message and beautiful melody.

Table of Contents

“Say Amen” was released in 1986 as part of Hewett’s album titled “I Commit To Love.” It quickly became a surprise hit on both the Gospel and Urban charts, solidifying itself as one of Hewett’s signature songs. The lyrics speak of faith, gratitude, and the unwavering love and grace of God.

The song begins with the acknowledgment that it’s time to say goodbye for now, but there’s a promise of a second time around. This serves as a reminder that there’s always hope and the assurance that we will be reunited with our loved ones. Before bidding farewell, the narrator expresses their desire to say something important.

The lyrics emphasize that everything is not what it seems, as there is a stronger force at work behind the scenes. This force is none other than God, who is present in our lives every day and is always there when we call upon Him. The narrator finds strength in their relationship with God, looking beyond the earthly skies and recognizing that only He can save their life and hear their cry.

Expressions of gratitude towards God are evident throughout the song. The narrator thanks God for giving them one more chance to raise their voice and sing His praise. They sing it out loud and all day, fully embracing the opportunity to celebrate God’s love and grace.

The chorus repeats the sentiment that the song itself is a prayer, dedicated solely to God. While recognizing that their prayer, their song, can never truly compare to the gift from God, which is His love and the sacrifice of His Son, the narrator expresses deep gratitude for these blessings.

The second verse acknowledges the existence of non-believers and acknowledges that sometimes it’s challenging to see God’s presence in the midst of life’s struggles. However, it reassures that it is not God’s will for us to be without. There is an abundance of blessings, symbolized by “cattle on a thousand hills,” waiting for us to claim them in His Holy name. The lyrics remind listeners that they don’t have to beg or crawl; God sees them standing proud and tall and is always ready to shower them with His everlasting love.

The song concludes with a powerful declaration of “Amen.” This word, often used to express agreement or affirmation, serves as a final statement of belief and surrender to God’s will. The narrator acknowledges that their prayer, their song, is dedicated solely to God, as they give thanks for His love and the gift of His Son.

“Say Amen” is not only a beautifully crafted song but also a poignant reminder of the depth of God’s love and the power of prayer. It resonates with believers, encouraging them to express their gratitude, embrace hope, and trust in God’s plan. Through its powerful lyrics and heartfelt melody, this song has touched the lives of many and continues to inspire and uplift listeners to this day.

Album Information:

Album title: I Commit To Love (1986)

Credits:

Written By: Monty Seward & Howard Hewett

Release Date: 1986

Sampled In: “Prayer” by Prospa

As a music teacher, I often encourage my students to explore different genres and songs that speak to them on a personal level. “Say Amen” is a song that I always recommend to my students, not only for its beautiful melody but also for its meaningful lyrics. It serves as a reminder of the power of faith, gratitude, and the importance of turning to God in times of joy and struggle. I hope this song touches your heart and brings you comfort and inspiration as it has to many others. So, say “Amen” and let your voice soar in praise and thanksgiving!

ncG1vNJzZminnJnBqrnEpqysoZNjsLC5jrBpaKyYmnquscCnoKefXZeyqbXNnWStoJViwLC6xmaqmrFdlrqmuoybsGagn6yus7CMoZywnaSpfA%3D%3D